A home security system provides peace of mind to your entire household. Not only do they help with theft, but they also help with fires and medical emergencies. But there are many variations in modern home security systems — from DIY installation to professional monitoring to smart-home integration. So how do you know which one is right for your home?
We at the Home Media reviews team have spent hundreds of hours researching the home security industry and available providers. Read over the best home security systems with our guide that compares equipment and cost.
Top home security systems of 2022
Check out the top home security systems we’ve rounded up:
- Award: Editors’ choice
- Connection Type: Dual cellular and Wi-Fi
- Price range: $99–$505
- Founded: 2006
Pros and cons
+ System is easy to install and requires no drilling or tools
+ No long-term contract required
+ Features a cellular backup
– Does not feature facial recognition, so SimpliCam may send false alerts
– Installation and smartphone app may not be best for non-tech-savvy users
Packages, equipment and cost
SimpliSafe provides five package options, as well as a build-your-own package option. The Hearth package is a great option if you’re unsure where to start. This package provides a simple yet thorough sensor system, and SimpliSafe currently offers an additional indoor camera with any new system. But our top recommendation is SimpliSafe’s custom package, which can be configured to suit your exact security needs.
Here are SimpliSafe’s packages:
- The Foundation ($245, currently $198*): This package includes one base station, one keypad, one entry sensor and one motion sensor.
- The Essentials ($275, currently $220*): This package offers one base station, one keypad, three entry sensors and one motion sensor.
- The Hearth ($390, currently $312*): This is a great starter package as it offers one base station, one keypad, three entry sensors, two motion sensors, one smoke detector, one key fob and one wireless siren.
- The Knox ($465, currently $372*): This package offers one base station, one keypad, six entry sensors, two motion sensors, one smoke detector, one key fob and one wireless siren.
- The Haven ($505, currently $404*): This is SimpliSafe’s most comprehensive package as it includes one base station, one keypad, four entry sensors, two motion sensors, one panic button, one …….